Friday, February 22, 2013

God is a Thumb Tucker


Friday 2/22/2013 6:50 AM
This morning there was frost on the ground and the roofs of houses when I left for my run.  I run in shorts and a tee shirt without any sweat pants or sweatshirt.  The beginning of the run can be a little chilly but by the time I get a couple of miles into it I usually warm up nicely.  The exposed extremities of my body, ears, hands and nose, suffer the most from the cold.  I have discovered that if I tuck my thumbs into my fist it helps to keep my hands warm.  My fist seems to warm the thumb and my thumb warms the fist.  I tucked my thumbs this morning and as I ran I thought to myself, “Today’s run is a real thumb tucker.”  The similarity to the term describing a baby as a thumb sucker was not lost on me and I reveled in the pun for a time.
As I continued running I began to contemplate the security provided my thumb by placing it within my closed fist and a few Bible verses began to flit through my mind.  Psalm 17:8, “Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings.”  In Exodus 33:22 when Moses was concerned that if he saw the full glory of God he would die, God tells Moses, “When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft of the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed.”  Psalm 91 begins with these words, “Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. … He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.”  These verses all reminded me of God’s faithful, loving care for me throughout my lifetime.
As I sat down for my devotions this morning Isaiah 49:14-16, a verse that I memorized a number of years ago, suddenly came to mind.  “But Zion said, ‘The Lord has forsaken me, the Lord has forgotten me.’  Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne?  Though she may forget, I will not forget you!  See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me.”  The image that immediately came to mind was that of my thumb tucked into the palm of my hand, protected from the harsh elements.
Stan and Judy are visiting for a couple of days and last night I reminisced about my childhood with Stan.  I recalled how God had cared for me as young boy growing up, as a young man raising a family, dealing with trying circumstances and how he continues to lovingly care for me in the present.  The protecting wings of God have definitely covered me throughout my lifetime.  The Bible says that believers are the body of Christ.  Today I feel as if I am the thumb and God is a thumb tucker.  I am warmed and protected by a faithful God, a loving family and a supportive community.  Praise God for his loving care.

No comments:

Post a Comment