Friday, March 22, 2013

Shadowland


Monday 3/11/2013 5:38 AM
The theme for my devotions this week is doubts.  I always thought that as I grew older my faith would become stronger and I would have more faith with less doubt.  It seems the opposite is true when I look at the world situation today.  It seems as if evil is more prevalent than good and growing stronger by the minute so it is easy to doubt that the kingdom of God is advancing.
In his book That the World May Believe, Hans Küng explains, “Questions of faith are not like riddles or crossword puzzles: with things of this sort it may take one some time to find the solution, but once it’s found, everything is clear and simple.  It is completely different with faith.  There we have, not human truth which men can state and understand, but God’s truth, which goes far beyond any statement or understanding of man’s.  The faith never becomes clear.  The faith remains obscure. … Only when we are in glory will it be otherwise.  Until then there will always be more difficulties coming up, more doubts coming up: there are bound to be.  Doubt is the shadow cast by faith.  One does not always notice it, but it is always there, though concealed.”
If he is right about doubt being the shadow cast by faith I should not be surprised that my doubts increase as my faith increases.  A big faith should cast a big shadow.

No comments:

Post a Comment