Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Tingles or Husks?


Monday 2/18/2013 6:38 AM
Today I read a quote by Phillips Brooks that resonated with me.  “The (greatest) danger (in life) is that we may fail to perceive life’s greatest meaning, fall short of its highest good, miss its deepest and most abiding happiness, be unable to render the most needed service, be unconscious of life ablaze with the light of the Presence of God–and be content to have it so– that is the danger.  That some day we may wake up and find that always we have been busy with the husks and trappings of life–and have really missed life itself.  For life without God, to one who has known the richness and joy of life with him, is unthinkable, impossible.  That is what one prays one’s friends may be spared–satisfaction with a life that falls short of the best, that has in it no tingle and thrill which comes from a friendship with the Father.”
Jesus said he wanted his disciples experience life to the full.  I want to experience the life that is truly life, not the husks and trappings to which Brooks refers and to which I too often aspire.  I also want this for my family, friends, students and acquaintances.  Unfortunately it seems that whenever I attempt to share my feelings with others I am perceived as “holier than thou” or as someone who is trying to cram their own views and beliefs about God down others’ throats.  I don’t want to settle for second best nor do I want that for those I love.  I need to pray that I will not settle for a life without tingle and thrill and pray the same for those I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment