Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Natural Maturity or Miracle?


Wednesday 5/9/2012 4:50 AM
Today I read Galatians 5 where Paul contrasts the acts of the flesh and the fruit of the Spirit.  The acts of the flesh are listed: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like.  The fruit of the Spirit follows: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
Thankfully, when I look at my life it seems the fruit of the Spirit have a more prominent role in my life than the acts of the flesh.  I’m sure I look at my life through rose colored glasses, seeing more of the good than the bad, but as I look at the two lists it seems that the acts of the flesh are more those things associated with immaturity and youth while the fruit of the Spirit are things associated with the wisdom that comes from experience.  As I age my testosterone level begins to wane and I don’t have the energy for fits of rage, selfish ambition, and the like.  It seems that a gentle spirit and self-control are more easily attained without the large doses of hormones coursing through my veins.
The Bible clearly states that when I came to faith in Christ I become a new creation and the Spirit of God began to mold and shape me into the image of Christ.  It is also true that I gain wisdom and experience as I live my life and naturally mature over time.  I wonder how much of the change is due to natural aging and how much is due to the work of the Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment