Sunday, May 6, 2012

Hungry for Love


Sunday 5/6/2012 5:40 AM
Today is the first time in a week that I have had my time of quiet reflection, Bible reading and prayer.  It is also only the second time this week that I have gone for my morning run.  The end of the semester is often a busy time in my classes, grading the last tests before the final exam, trying to cover the required material in lecture and reviewing for the final exam.  This year the end of the year busyness seems even more so and my regular morning routine has not only been disrupted, it has been decimated.
When I left for my run today a tune started going through my mind.  As I continued running the words to the song started to materialize and I realized it was the song Lead Me by Sanctus Real.  The lyrics of the song are about a man with a picture-perfect life that is pursuing his work and ignoring his wife and children.  The chorus of the song is a plea by his wife and children that he would lead them with strong hands, stand up when they can’t, etc.  The part of the song running through my head was the next part of the chorus.  “Don’t leave me hungry for love chasing dreams, but what about us?  Show me you’re willing to fight that I’m still the love of your life.  I know we call this our home but I still feel alone.”  It seemed like God was singing the song to me this morning on my run.
Lately it has been easy for me to forgo my quiet time.  Anything that comes up seems to supersede my time with God.  Do papers need correcting?  Get up early and skip devotions.  Sleep later than usual?  Get my run in and skip devotions.  Get up on time?  Distract myself with Facebook, Scrabble and getting caught up with the news online and skip my devotions.
Of course, God does have a great sense of humor and irony.  I opened my devotional material this morning for the first time this week and the theme for the week was “Staying Close to God.”  Thankfully, even when I do not stay close to God he calls to me with his siren song of love, challenging me to return to his loving arms.  I pray that he will give me the grace to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment