Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Enlarged Heart


Sunday 5/20/2012 6:17 AM
This has been the closing prayer in my devotional materials for the week: “Enlarge my heart, dear Lord, that I may truly love you and live in harmony with all my fellows.”  I prayed the prayer at the end of my devotional time for the past week but this morning I thought about what it means to have an enlarged heart.
Earlier this week marked the forty-third anniversary of my dad’s death.  He died at the age of forty-two after suffering with emphysema for a number of years.  They performed an autopsy after his death and discovered that he had an enlarged heart.  An enlarged heart can be caused by certain kinds of medication but in his specific case the doctors surmised that his heart had to work harder to pump more blood throughout his body.  His emphysema precluded the proper oxygenation of his blood so the heart had to increase the flow of blood to ensure his cells had the proper amount of oxygen.  My dad’s enlarged heart was the result of his suffering with emphysema.
My reading today includes 1 Peter 5:10-11, “And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.”  It would seem that God also uses the suffering in my life to make me stronger and more steadfast and firm in my faith.  I see the adversity in my life as something to avoid at all costs.  I want a nice leisurely stroll through life but God knows what will make me stronger and what will enlarge my heart.  When I suffer and when I enter into the suffering of others their burden is lifted, my heart is enlarged, and my faith is strengthened.  Praise the God of all grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment