Monday, May 7, 2012

Life Will Be Wonderful


Monday 5/7/2012 5:05 AM
Today I read Psalm 128.  It sounds wonderful.  It seems to say that if you obey God you will be blessed.  You will have a job (eat the fruit of your labor), you will be blessed with prosperity, and you will have a happy family (your wife is a fruitful vine and children are olive shoots).  It sounds like the health and wealth gospel that is preached from so many pulpits today that turns people off to Christianity.
I know people who love and obey God who have spouses suffering from depression, whose children are not walking in the ways of God, who are chronically unemployed and who experience adversity at every turn.  I also know people who do not follow the ways of God who experience the blessings described in Psalm 128.
I wonder if the psalm was written by Solomon or someone else who was experiencing the high points of life without any of the low points.  Perhaps this psalm is written to give hope to those experiencing adversity but it bothers me that many Christians portray a life with God in this quid pro quo manner.  Too many people are given the wrong idea about what God’s call to discipleship is all about.

2 comments:

  1. Bible promises that God has provides and blessings.
    I really saw many Christians who experienced that promises. However, many others are also facing the mentioned suffers (God's training or disciplines?)
    Sometimes, I am really not sure whether I can get help from him...I am not as spiritual as those Christians you mentioned...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have to be spiritual to get help from God. Matthew 5 says that those who are poor in spirit will see God. I believe God meets us where we are, even when we doubt.

      Delete