Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Computer Updates


Tuesday 4/3/2012 8:03 AM
My computer checks weekly for updates to its software.  This morning it notified me that there were updates available and asked if I wanted to install the updates and restart my computer or if I wanted to be reminded later.  After consenting to the updates, by hitting the install and restart button my computer, a progress bar came up with descriptions of the steps being taken: downloading updates, installing updates, running scripts, optimizing system and restarting computer.
Updates to a computer are designed to make the computer operate more efficiently, make the computer more user-friendly, increase the security of the computer by making it less vulnerable to attacks by hackers and malicious software, among other things.  As I watched the progress bar inch across the screen I thought about the work of the Holy Spirit in my life.  It is much like the updates on my computer.  God is at work with his Spirit to make me more loving to my neighbor, to increase the influence of the fruit of the Spirit, and he makes me less vulnerable to the attacks of the devil and of my own sinful nature.
Each morning I receive a message from God, “Updates available.”  I can choose whether or not I hit the “install and restart” button or the “remind me later” button.  When I choose the first option, the Spirit installs the updates, runs the scripts and optimizes my life so they can be most effective.  I pray that I will consent to the updates so that I will be most effective in bringing about the kingdom of God and so that I will be less vulnerable to sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment