Sunday, April 1, 2012

April Fool


Sunday 4/1/2012 5:32 AM
Over the past few weeks my regular time for devotions has been preempted by other activities, like correcting tests, surfing the Internet, or watching television.  I wake at my regular time, or even earlier, but I choose not to have my quiet time listening to God.  I have been making foolish choices.
My reading today includes Isaiah 50:4-5, “The Sovereign Lord has given me a well-instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary.  He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being instructed.  The Sovereign Lord has opened my ears; I have not been rebellious, I have not turned away.”  The Lord does waken me morning by morning to listen like one being instructed but, unlike Isaiah, I have been rebellious and have turned away.  The consequence?  I do not receive the word that sustains the weary; I lose the opportunity to bring a word of hope to those I meet, those worn down by the circumstances of life.
It seems that when I spend time meditating on God’s Word and praying the first thing in the morning, I am more aware of those around me, more sensitive to their situations and their needs.  When I fail to do so I am more aware of my needs, my desires and myself.  God calls me to love my neighbor as I love myself.  If that is going to happen in my life I need to spend time getting to know the heart of God.  When God’s heart is my heart I will love unselfishly.
Today is April Fools Day.  This morning the Spirit of God reminded me that I have been a fool lately, living each day as if there was no God.  I pray that the instruction I heard from God today will fall on open ears and that I will not turn away.

No comments:

Post a Comment