Thursday, October 10, 2013

Spiritual ADD


Sunday 10/6/2013 7:36 AM
Last night the people who attended my forty-year high school reunion had a dinner.  We remembered the good old days, reflected on the lives of our classmates who have since died and some of my classmates shared what happened in their lives over the course of the years since we last met.  Three of my classmates had come to a renewed faith over the past few years, moved by the Spirit of God and the events in their lives to acknowledge their need for God.  Each of them expressed how the emptiness and futility of their lives had been replaced with fullness and purpose and it reminded me of the great patience and mercy of God.
Today my assigned passage includes Isaiah 48.  In this chapter Isaiah reveals that God will send the Babylonians and take Israel into captivity.  Verses 17-18 are the words of God to his people.  “I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go.  If only you had paid attention to my commands, your peace would have been like a river, your well-being like the waves of the sea.”  God does the same for me.  He wants what is best for me and shows me the way I should go to attain it.  Unfortunately, too often, like the Israelites, I do not pay attention, choosing instead to do things my own way.  Thankfully God does not deal with my lack of attention or outright defiance by completely writing me off as a lost cause; he simply withholds the peace I so desperately long for until I turn back to him.  I pray that as I continue to age I will become better at paying attention to what God says and more obedient in following the path he lays out before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment