Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Optimization


Tuesday 10/22/2013 5:32 AM
Mathematics is often used to optimize functions, to find the maximum value or the minimum value over a certain domain.  This is one of the major reasons it has such a wide variety of applications since the business man wants to maximize profits and minimize costs, the engineer wants maximum strength for a beam with minimum weight, a runner wants maximum speed with minimum energy expended, etc.  Because of my affinity for math I tend to treat my spiritual life and journey in the same way.  I want to maximize my awareness of God in my life with the minimum amount of effort.  As a result, I am constantly looking for ways to spend as little time as possible contemplating God and his will for me and still have the sense that God is present with me and guiding me.  I have a feeling I am not alone since the internet is filled with sites offering a word from the Bible for each day or other inspiring phrases that can be posted on our mirror in the morning for inspiration.  Unfortunately, for many people I know, it is easy to say, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me,” or “All things work together for good,” when things are going well but, when tragedy strikes, we are left floundering, afloat in a sea of doubt and unbelief.
Today my assigned scripture includes Exodus 13:17-22.  It begins with these words; “When Pharaoh let the people go, God did not lead them on the road through the Philistine country, though that was shorter. … God led the people around by the desert road toward the Red Sea.”  The Israelites lived in the land of Goshen, near the Mediterranean Sea.  The shortest way to the Promised Land was along the coast, where the weather would have been more temperate and traveling easy.  Instead God sent them into the heat of the desert where the terrain would have been worse.  I’m pretty sure the Israelites were wondering why God was guiding them down such a difficult path when there was a much easier way.
I feel the same way in my life and I’ve come to the conclusion that either God is not maximizing and minimizing the same function as I am or he is not using the same math.  In my ideal world, and that of many others I know, a good God does not allow shooting rampages like the one yesterday in Nevada, he does not allow the poor to be exploited, children do not starve while others are obese, and so on.  I want a world that makes sense and where everything is wonderful.  God’s goal is to mold me into the image of Christ, who sacrificed himself for others.  He wants me to have compassion and love for those I meet instead of always being concerned about my own welfare.  His method of accomplishing his goal conflicts with my ideal scenario and often sends me into a tailspin of doubt.  Perhaps someday I will understand God’s optimization methods.  For now, I need to trust.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Mark.
    I reckon God uses the same math ... but we try to skew the functions toward our own benefit rather than maximizing them for the common good. Doubt and suffering seem to be optimal tools for refocusing the functions back toward their intended purpose. So it seems to me, God's already got you hooked on his optimization strategy. Cool, eh.

    ReplyDelete