Thursday, October 10, 2013

Intrinsic or Extrinsic Motivation?


Thursday 10/10/2013 5:12 AM
Today I read from Mark 7 where Jesus is questioned about why his disciples did not ceremonially wash their hands before eating.  Jesus responded by pointing out the hypocrisy of his accusers, the Pharisees, who followed human traditions rather than following God.  In her book The House of the Soul and Concerning the Inner Life, Evelyn Underhill writes, “The saintly and simple Cure d’Ars was once asked the secret of his abnormal success in converting souls.  He replied that it was done by being very indulgent to others and very hard on himself, a recipe which retains all its virtue still.  And this power of being outwardly genial and inwardly austere, which is the real Christian temper, depends entirely on the use we make of the time set apart for personal religion.”  Finding that balance of outward geniality and inward austerity is difficult.
As a teacher I want my students to achieve their highest potential and I often struggle with how indulgent I should be to my students.  Trying to balance the right amount of discipline and the right amount of grace is difficult for me to do.  As a student I was very hard on myself.  I had high standards that I wanted to attain and I did everything in my power to meet those standards.  I expect the same effort from my students and when I see them getting distracted from their goals by their friends or their choices on how to use their free time I become frustrated.  It is hard to be genial and indulgent when I see them frittering away their opportunity for success, knowing those kinds of opportunities do not present themselves all throughout one’s lifetime.  When push comes to shove my students have to have intrinsic motivation to succeed but I sure wish I could will that motivation into their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment