Sunday, July 28, 2013

Peacekeepers or Peacemakers?


Sunday 7/28/2013 7:03 AM
This morning I ran at about 6:00, a little later than usual.  On a weekday there would be much more traffic but, because it is Sunday, there were few cars traversing the roads.  For part of my regular route I run down a relatively busy street that has a median and as I turned the corner onto that street I noticed a man, who appeared to be a soldier dressed in camouflage, crossing the street where there was no crosswalk.  Our culture honors veterans who have served our country in the armed forces and we thank them for “protecting our freedoms” or for “fighting for freedom.”  They are often lionized as heroes and are held up as role models for our children who are encouraged to emulate their selfless sacrifice. 
All these thoughts flitted through my head as I watched him cross the street.  There was no traffic on the southbound side of the street so he crossed to the median unimpeded.  There were two cars travelling northbound at the speed limit and I thought he would wait for them to pass but he started to cross the street ahead of them.  I assumed he would run across to avoid the cars but he continued as his regular pace causing both cars to brake in order to avoid hitting him.  I’m not sure why but I was surprised by his behavior, thinking he would hurry so the drivers of the cars could continue at their regular pace, perhaps because I thought of the selfless characteristics of those in military service that are suggested by our culture.  I thought immediately of Philippians 2:3, “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit.  Rather, in humility value others above yourselves.”  I know nothing of the man’s motivation, so this may be an unfair evaluation of the situation, but it seemed like he was concerned only about himself without giving thought to the drivers of the cars.  It seemed like he was being selfish rather that selfless.
My pastor prays regularly for those in military service and calls them “peacekeepers.”  Sometimes I wonder about Jesus’ call for us to be peacemakers, which seems to be different to me than peacekeepers, in the same way that society’s call for us to be tolerant of others is much different than Jesus’ call for us to love others.  To me, keeping the peace implies that there is a peaceful condition that must be maintained.  Making peace, on the other hand, implies resolving a conflict.  Our society is very critical of Christianity and I think they often have a valid criticism.  Just like I expected the military man to selflessly wait for the cars to pass society expects Christians to make peace and to love others.  When we are confrontational and cause conflict it is antithetical to their expectation.  The same is true when we fail to show love to those with whom we disagree.  We defend our behavior by saying we are “maintaining a standard” or that we are “exposing evil” but, as 1 Corinthians 13 says, if we do it without love we are nothing but an annoying, clanging symbol.

No comments:

Post a Comment