Thursday, August 1, 2013

Prayer and Forgiveness


Thursday 8/1/2013 6:01 AM
I did not listen to music this morning during my run.  Normally I do but this morning I decided to spend some time praying.  I prayed for the Verkaiks in Minnesota as they prepare for Ryan’s bone marrow transplant and for others that came to mind.  Praying for those in severe need, like the Verkaiks, comes easily and naturally.  The need is glaringly evident and my heart goes out to them as I pray.  Praying for those whose life seems to be moving along fairly well is somewhat more difficult and I find that I often pray for God to “bless” those people.  I have a vague sense of what I mean by bless but it lacks specificity and direction.  I fail to pray for those people I either dislike or who have hurt me.  I guess it is a passive aggressive way of hoping that God will give them what I consider to be their just desserts.
This morning I am convicted by the words of Dietrich Bonhoeffer in his book Life Together.  He writes, “A Christian fellowship lives and exists by the intercession of its members for one another, or it collapses.  I can no longer condemn or hate a brother for whom I prayer, no matter how much trouble he causes me.  His face, that hitherto may have been strange and intolerable to me, is transformed in intercession into the countenance of a brother for whom Christ died, the face of a forgiven sinner.  This is a happy discovery for the Christian who begins to pray for others.  There is no dislike, no personal tension, no estrangement that cannot be overcome by intercession as far as our side of it is concerned.”  I need to spend more time praying for people that I find troublesome.  God needs to change my heart and my attitude toward them.  Maybe my prayer can be the avenue he uses to accomplish that.

No comments:

Post a Comment