Saturday, July 6, 2013

Gifts and Giving


Saturday 7/6/2013 5:57 AM
This morning I read 2 Corinthians 9:6-15, a passage that was very meaningful to me when Jaci and I were the recipients of a generous gift toward our tuition bill at a time we were in need.  I remember writing a thank you note to the anonymous donor quoting verses 12-13, “This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of the Lord’s people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God.  Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, others will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else.”  Since we never knew who had given the money toward our tuition we saw it as a direct gift from God and thanked God profusely for the gift and for the obedience of the person through whom the gift was channeled.
Jaci and I support various ministries through regular giving.  We have the funds withdrawn from our account each month so, while the funds are regularly distributed, we are not physically handing over cash or a check to the ministry to whom we are giving.  I pray for the ministries to which we give and those I know who are involved in the ministries but, other than my giving and prayers, I have no part in the ministry.
Today I read a quote from The Message of the Sermon on the Mount, by John Stott, in which he describes the thoughts of the heart when someone is in the act of giving.  He writes, “There are three possibilities.  Either we are seeking the praise of men, or we preserve our anonymity but are quietly congratulating ourselves, or we are desirous of the approval of our divine Father alone.”  When I thought about my own giving it seems that it does not fit into any of the categories.  While I receive regular emails confirming my gift has been received and thanking me for supporting the ministry, I am not motivated by that praise.  I do not maintain anonymity nor am I actively pursuing God’s approval.  I think my main motivation in giving is that I have been on the receiving end of the gift numerous times in my life and, now that I am able, I want to be able to bless others the way I have been blessed.  Hopefully those on the receiving end of the gift will thank God for his care.

No comments:

Post a Comment