Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Me, Myself and I


Tuesday 7/2/2013 7:04 AM
When I was a child my mom used to quote The Tea Party, by Jessica Nelson North.

I had a little tea party
This afternoon at three.
‘Twas very small-
Three guests in all-
Just I, myself and me!

Myself ate all the sandwiches,
While I drank up the tea;
‘Twas also I who ate the pie
And passed the cake to me.

I have always enjoyed the poem and now, at my age, I have an image of one of my granddaughters passing around cups, enjoying tea with imaginary friends.
That cute image becomes more sobering when I consider the culture in which I live and willingly participate.  It bombards me with messages of individualism and reminds me to always ask, “What’s in it for me?”  Those who lead extravagant lifestyles are held up as role models and television shows about acquiring bigger and better houses, faster cars, and more of everything are prolific.  One is taught to go to school so you can get a good job that pays a lot of money and will ensure your success.  Unfortunately this leads to a society of looking out for oneself and relying on no one but oneself.  BeyoncĂ© sings a song Me, Myself and I that sums it up well, “Me, myself and I, that’s all I got in the end.  That’s what I found out and it ain’t no need to cry.  I took a vow that from now on I’m gonna be my own best friend.”
This is a stark contrast to the simple reminder from my devotional material this morning, with the theme of generosity.  “Our prayers should be freeing us from our self-centeredness and opening us up to others.”  God’s desire is that people have meaningful relationships with him and with each other.  He describes the church as a body, dependent upon its members.  In God’s economy there is no room for selfish individualism; he wants interdependent community.
It is difficult to swim against the stream of individualism that runs so deeply in our culture.  Unfortunately Christians today are often the ones preaching that God wants to bless us with wealth and material goods, describing them as “blessings.”  God makes clear that he blesses us so that we can be a blessing to others.  I am not to be a cistern, collecting the blessings of God for myself, saving them up for a rainy day.  I am to be a canal, bringing the fresh water of God’s grace to a thirsty world.  Lord, help me to open me, myself and I to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment