Friday, September 20, 2013

Return to Me

Friday 9/20/2013 5:07 AM

The past week has been terribly busy.  Thankfully Jaci is visiting with her sisters in Pella so I am able to spend more time doing what needs to be done than I might otherwise without adversely affecting my relationship with her.
I am in the middle of the first round of tests for my classes.  I am teaching five different classes and one of them is multivariable calculus, a class I have not previously taught.  Consequently I have no previous tests or lesson plans on which to fall.  To complicate matters it has been nearly forty years since I took the class myself so I spend hours preparing for each lecture, trying to find ways to explain the new concepts in ways that my students will be able to understand and find meaningful.  I find that I awaken in the middle of the night dreaming about calculus and then have difficulty falling back asleep.  The combination of a busy schedule and a lack of sleep is beginning to take its toll.
My knee has been hurting for the past week so I have not had my normal run each morning.  The distraction of my school responsibilities has kept me from my regular time of devotional reflection.  Both of these activities have a calming influence on me so when they are not presence my level of stress and frustration mounts.
Last night we had our first choir practice for the new church year.  After our rehearsal our director, Faith, shared a devotional by Oswald Chambers in which he stressed the importance of maintaining a relationship with God if we expect to effect the world around us in a way that will reveal the character of God.  Chambers’ writing was based upon Genesis 13:3-4 where it says that Abram pitched his tent between Bethel, the house of God, and Ai, which represented the world around him.  He realized that in order to affect the world he needed to be close to God.  I was convicted to return to my previous habit of regular morning devotions.
Today I turned to my assigned chapter in my devotional book and noted the assigned scriptures for the week included Genesis 13.  I read some of the quotes in the book and this excerpt, from Hallowed Be This House by Thomas Howard, caught my attention.  “Somehow we have gotten swept into a millrace, and it’s nonstop flailing and thrashing just to keep ourselves from drowning.  The sheer necessities of modern life sweep us farther and farther from any sense that it is all hallowed, really.  What are we to do?”  This is exactly what I feel like this week and it also conjured up memories of sixteen years ago when Jaci’s sister, Linda, committed suicide.  I was using the same devotional book that year and this quote caught my attention because Linda and Fred, her husband, lived on a street called Millrace Avenue.  I decided to go back and read my journal entries from that time and I was surprised by how my life seems to be in the same place.  What follows is my journal entry from September 25, 1997.

I feel like I am so far behind in my work that I will never catch up.  I stay up late and get up early trying to get my tests made, and then corrected, and then proceed to fall asleep trying to meet the demands of my daily routine.  The first paragraph of my reading describes my situation fairly well.  It is an excerpt from Hallowed Be This House by Thomas Howard.  “Somehow we have gotten swept into a millrace, and it’s nonstop flailing and thrashing just to keep ourselves from drowning.  The sheer necessities of modern life sweep us farther and farther from any sense that it is all hallowed, really.  What are we to do?”  My assigned scripture reading was Genesis 13 this morning and as I read the chapter I noticed something about Abram.  He was in the process of moving from Egypt to the Negev, undoubtedly a busy time, when he began to have trouble getting along with his nephew Lot.  Abram could have worked harder and jockeyed for a position that would guarantee his financial and personal success but the Bible clearly states, in two different verses, the focus of his life.  Verses 3-4 read, “From the Negev he went from place to place until he came to Bethel, to the place between Bethel and Ai where his tent had been earlier and where he had first built an altar.  There Abram called on the name of the Lord.”  After giving Lot the choice of where he would like to live, and getting what appeared to be the short end of the stick, he did not mope about the raw deal he got but worshipped God.  Verse 18 records his response; “So Abram moved his tents and went to live near the great trees of Mamre at Hebron, where he built an altar to the Lord.”
There are two thoughts that come to me this morning.  The first is that I need to return to the place I have been earlier, a place where I first built an altar to the Lord.  In the midst of my busyness I need to lay it all out before God and simply worship him for who he is, leaving the details of my life entrusted to his care.  The second thought is that I need to ignore the situations in which I find myself and move myself to a place of worship.  Rather than getting my knickers in a twist about my circumstances, I need to focus on God and his agenda.  The Bible promises that if I seek first the kingdom of God, all these other things will be added to me.  Lord, may I trust your word and, more specifically, trust you to fulfill your will in my life.  Let me give up trying to control my life and let me rest in your provision for my needs.  Open my eyes to see your way and give me a calm spirit that entrusts my life to your care.

God’s word to me then is the same as his word to me this morning; return to me and trust me with your future.  In many ways my life is very different today than it was sixteen years ago.  Unfortunately, with regards to staying close to God and trusting God, I am a slow learner.

No comments:

Post a Comment