Saturday, September 14, 2013

Missed Opportunities


Saturday 9/14/2013 5:41 AM
For the past week I have not had my regular devotional time, a time to read and reflect on God’s word and on his will for my life.  I have let the busyness of my schedule, late nights and other distractions steal the time that I normally devote to reading and meditating on God’s word.  Nearly twenty years ago I committed to having a regular time of reading and meditating upon God’s word and, by his grace, I have been able to keep that commitment.  I also committed to memorizing portions of God’s word that were especially meaningful for me.
I opened my devotional book for the first time since Sunday and turned to the next section.  This week’s theme is Study and my assigned psalm includes one of the memory verses I memorized over fifteen years ago, Psalm 119:15-16.  “I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways.  I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.”  I originally chose to learn the verse because it was my promise to God and this morning it is a good reminder for me since I have neglected God’s word for the past week.
There was a time in my life when I would have castigated myself for not living up to my promise to God.  I would have lived in the land of guilt and shame for a few weeks reminding myself how disappointing I must be to God and wondering how I could even call myself a Christian.  But, because I followed through with my commitment for the most part, over the years I have spent hundreds of hours meditating on the love and grace of God and I realize that his love and grace do not depend upon me and my ability to hold up my end of the bargain.  His love for me is based upon the perfect work of Christ on my behalf.  When I fail to have my quiet time of reading and reflection God’s love doesn’t cease, I just don’t get to hear him whisper it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment