Sunday, September 1, 2013

Encouragement Instead of Criticism


Sunday 9/1/2013 7:56 AM
A couple of days ago one of my Facebook friends posted a status update something like this: If I died tomorrow what is one thing you would remember about me?  No one, including me, responded.  This person has struggled with mental health issues over the years and has few friends.  I have had lunch with the person on more than one occasion but our conversation has always been forced and awkward.  I wanted to respond to the post, stressing some positive quality that has been meaningful to me, but I had difficulty coming up with something that was not trite or insincere.  Why is it so easy for me to find and comment on the negative traits of a person and so difficult to do the same with the positive?  I often blame it on my vocation as a teacher, always looking for things that need correction, but I have a feeling it goes deeper than that.
Today I read an excerpt from the book With Open Heart by Michael Quoist that I find very convicting.  “R. has just told me that Bernard (a priest and a friend, a wonderful, remarkable, generous man of action who gave his all) has died, defeated by depression. … I am going to the funeral.  I had hesitated–why go?  For him?  I can pray for him right here.  For his family, friends, myself?  Perhaps.  However I know that I will be going to very little more than a show.  I can already hear the sudden concert of unanimous praise and the miraculous disappearance of all criticism and reservation.  Like all sensitive beings, Bernard wanted a bit of approval, a little encouragement.  But he would never have believed the amount of praise that’s going to be heaped on him now.  The tragic thing is that just a fraction of it could have perhaps saved him.  Despite all, I’m going to the interment.  I haven’t got the courage not to go.”  Quoist’s observations are similar to those I have made at memorial services and I wonder what it is that keeps me, and others like me, from extending compliments and expressions of gratitude to others for who they are and for how they have impacted our lives.  Am I so concerned about what others think of me that I am afraid to think about what I think of others?  Am I afraid that I might give a compliment to someone, expecting one in return, only to be disappointed when the compliment is not reciprocated?
What I really need is to find my worth and security in how God views me.  If I recognize and believe that God thinks enough of me to die for me then the need for approval from others should disappear and I will be free to dispense that same grace of God to others through my human voice.  Lord, give me a clearer vision of who I am, and who others are, in your eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment