Friday, April 10, 2020

Clearing Space

Friday 4/10/20 7:57 AM
This past year I have been on sabbatical and I’ve had a lot more flexibility in my schedule. Since I’ve pretty much recovered from my hip surgery I am now spending a couple of hours each morning doing physical exercise, including a lot of walking. I’ve purposely not listened to music or podcasts, so I walk in silence, listening for the voice of God and leaving my mind open to the prodding of the Holy Spirit. For the past few weeks we have been under stay at home orders due to the COVID-19 pandemic and I now have even more time of isolation and solitude. Since I have intentionally tried to seek after God I feel much more in tune with him and I have no fear, despite the troubling daily news about the spread of the pandemic and the rising death count. Lent is a time for reflection and this year the pandemic has allowed me to reflect at an unprecedented level.
Today I read an excerpt from Sarah Parsons book, A Clearing Season, that pretty well describes my experience during these past weeks. “If we picture all the obstructions between us and God as a wilderness, Lent presents us with time to clear and cultivate a part of that wilderness, to create an open space in it. In this newly opened space, we may live more freely and commune more closely with the divine. We can transform this wilderness and make it our home, our garden, a place that invites God in and asks God to stay.” It seems that this is what I did and, thankfully, God has taken up residence with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment