Sunday, October 20, 2019

Standing Firm

Sunday 10/20/19 5:22 AM
Yesterday I had hip replacement surgery. It went remarkably well and I have no adverse side effects from the anesthesia. I was wheeled from the pre-op room into the operating room at 7:30 AM and was discharged at about 1:30 PM. After the surgery I was able to walk and climb stairs without pain, truly remarkable. Throughout the day yesterday, as the pain meds from the hospital wore off, I had a dull ache in my hip, but that was all. This morning the pain is a little worse, but, from what I understand, that is to be expected. I am grateful to God for my restored body and for the peace and lack of anxiety about this procedure for the past few weeks. I am experiencing the peace and presence of God as I go throughout my day like I did more than twenty years ago when I left my job at Valley Christian to teach at Cerritos College.  I am constantly reminded that he is with me, and that brings a lot of comfort and confidence. Jaci and I have been overwhelmed with the encouragement of our family, our church family, friends, and acquaintances. We have received text messages, Facebook comments, and phone calls from hundreds of people and it is very encouraging and appreciated.
As I had my devotions today there were a few verses, or parts of verses, which resonated with me. Philippians 4:1 reads, “Therefore, my brothers and sisters, you whom I love and long for, my joy and my crown, stand firm then in the Lord in this way, dear friends!” While completely out of context, the phrase “stand firm then in the Lord” had a different meaning for me today. When I stand within the confines of my walker, I can stand firmly and securely, without fear of falling. Similarly, when I consciously stand in the presence of the Lord, I can remain secure in my faith, without fear.
Philippians 4:4-7 states: “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again, Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” This is a good reminder for me to be joyful and gentle in my relationships with others. I have really experienced the presence of God concretely over the past weeks. It is almost like he is in the room having a conversation with me. Deuteronomy 34:10 says, “… no prophet has risen in Israel like Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face, …” While I make no claim of being in the same category as Moses, I feel like I am experiencing the same thing, knowing and speaking to God face to face. I believe that is the reason for my lack of anxiety and the great sense of peace I experience daily.
The experiences of being confined within the presence of God and knowing him face to face remind me of this verse from St. Patrick’s Breastplate. “Christ be with me, Christ within me, Christ behind me, Christ before me, Christ beside me, Christ to win me, Christ to comfort and restore me. Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ in quiet, Christ in danger, Christ in hearts of all that love me, Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.” Thank you, God, for your surrounding presence, which I experience through my devotions, the loving care of Jaci, and the expressions of love and concern from the mouths of family, friends, and acquaintances.

2 comments:

  1. No other comment than that I truly loved reading this, Mark. I am so amazed and glad for the surgery success, and I wish you well as you heal. God is good all the time; and, all the time, God is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandy! I am amazed too. I pray that you and your family can also experience God's presence in a very personal way as you continue to grieve.

      Delete