Thursday, December 14, 2017

Inaction in Action

Thursday 12/14/2017 4:25 AM
In my journal last week I wrote about my lack of action in trying to correct either the blatant or subtle injustices that are evident in our society. I often become aware of policies or practices that are unjust but seldom, if ever, do anything to change them.
In his book Alive in Christ, Maxie Dunnam writes of a conversation he once had with Metropolitan Bloom. “At one point we were talking about the connection between contemplation and action, and I asked Metropolitan Bloom to define contemplation. He responded, ‘Well I think this is where contemplation begins. Sit and listen – in religious terms it may be called waiting on God – but it’s simply listening or looking in order to hear and to understand. If we did that with regard to the Word of God, with regard to the prayers of the saints, with regard to the situations in which we are, to everything people say to us or what they are in life, with regard to our own selves – we would be in that condition which one can call contemplation, which consists in pondering, thinking deeply, in waiting until one has understood in order to act. Then action would be much more efficient, less hasty, and filled, probably, with some amount of the Divine Wisdom.’”
It seems that Bloom suggests that contemplation will lead to action at some point. I get stuck in the contemplation, pondering, and thinking deeply part. Over time I usually have a sense of the action I need to take but lack the courage or the will to act. The times I have obeyed God’s call and acted have resulted in great blessing but I am too often afraid of the negative consequences that may accompany my action. I need to be more trusting of God’s care for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment