Sunday, December 6, 2015

Security in Chaos

Sunday 12/6/2015 7:17 AM
Earlier this week there was a terrorist attack in San Bernardino. A man and his wife dropped their six-month-old baby off at his parents’ house; proceeded to go to a holiday party, and killed fourteen of his coworkers, while injuring many more. Since this followed the shootings in Paris just a few short weeks ago there is renewed talk of security and gun control. At school we are reminded of our “active shooter” protocols, as if that will solve the problem and give us hope.
Ultimately all of the security measures we institute as a society, the gun control laws we enact, the safety protocols we adopt, the building codes we modify, and any other attempts we have will not provide the hope we have for security and peace in a world filled with sinful people and natural disasters. The only hope we have is addressed by the psalmist in Psalm 33:20-22, “We wait in hope for the Lord; he is our help and our shield. In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name. May your unfailing love be with us, Lord, even as we put our hope in you.”
My world may be running amok but God’s love is unfailing. God is with me in the middle of the chaos of my life, including that which is brought on by natural disasters, that which is perpetrated upon me by others, and that which I create myself. I pray that I can put my hope in God with the same confidence as that of the psalmist.

No comments:

Post a Comment