Thursday, December 3, 2015

Pursued

Thursday 12/3/2015 3:58 AM
Today is the thirty-ninth anniversary of my first date with Jaci. Little did I know at that time the richness, fullness, and love that would result from that first evening together. The step we chose to take that first night has affected our lives in ways we never imagined and, looking back, I see the magnitude of the consequences of our decision to pursue that relationship. It makes me wonder what small decisions made today will have great consequence for the future. If I dwell on that thought too long it can paralyze me. It makes me afraid to do anything for fear of making a wrong decision with the accompanying negative consequences, which could last a lifetime.
My reading today included Jeremiah’s words in Lamentations 3:19-23, “I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” When I read those verses I realize that, although my choices do have consequences, God’s faithfulness and love are not compromised because of them. Even when I make choices that jeopardize my relationship with him, God pursues me in love to restore the relationship.
I can go through times of wandering away from God and wondering about the wisdom of the decisions that I make. The good news is that God doesn’t wander or wonder. He pursues me with an unquenchable love that never fails, regardless.

No comments:

Post a Comment