Thursday, October 8, 2015

Enough?

Thursday 10/8/2015 5:03 AM
Last night I had a conversation with my brother. We spoke about some issues with Mom’s living situation and then the conversation turned toward retirement. He and Kathy recently met with someone regarding their retirement situation and were pleasantly surprised that their retirement income was more substantial that what they previously thought. Then he shared that he found a group who is, as I would say, dumb enough to pay him to do what he loves to do, namely minister to pastors and churches and to write.
My reading today included the parable of the rich fool who built bigger barns to hold all of his surplus crops only to die before he could enjoy it all. Sometimes I worry about whether or not my resources will adequately provide for me in my retirement years. Then the rational side of my brain kicks in and I remind myself that God has provided for me for the first fifty-nine years of my life so he can probably handle the next twenty or so, if he allows me to live that long.
God doesn’t call me to hoard my income, saving it for a rainy day so I can live in comfort and ease after I stop working at my job. He calls me to a life of service, expending my time, energy, and resources for the benefit of others while I trust him to provide for me.
It is a good reminder for me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment