Saturday, September 12, 2015

Straying

Saturday 9/12/2015 6:03 AM
Yesterday Jaci and I went to see the movie War Room. It is a story about the power of prayer and the ability of God to change the lives of those who seek him with their whole being. I have experienced the transforming power of God at work in my life so there were many points in movie that resonated with me. I also realized that my passion for God has waned over the past few months and, as a result, I am less aware of God’s working in my life and in the lives of others with whom I have contact. This saddens me and I spent part of my time in the theater weeping and mourning the lost opportunities to dispense the grace of God into the lives of others and to experience God’s grace in my own life.
When I left the theater I resolved to return to my habit of spending an extended time each morning with God so that I am more aware of his work in the world and more aware of the role he wants me to play in that work. As I read my devotional materials today I read a prayer by Norman Shawchuck that seemed as if it was written for me. It is my prayer today.
My God, every fiber of my being vibrates at the touch of your grace – whereby I am given the privilege of being your child. My joy at your overwhelming gesture of love and the high privilege you extend to me of entering into your life invades my being with an acute sense of your ever-nearness. In response to this, my Lord, I offer praises to you.
Yet, my Lord, I am often cold toward you. I forget to love you for long periods of time – and this to my own harm and regret. Forgive me, Lord! Ever-loving God, set my life aflame with love for you only. O my God, I long to reflect your image throughout the world so that others might observe your doing in me and themselves be convinced that you love them also.

No comments:

Post a Comment