Sunday, September 13, 2015

Priority Shift

Sunday 9/13/2015 5:35 AM
The theme for my devotions this week is attentiveness. The world in which we live is filled with distractions and it is difficult to focus on one particular thing for any length of time. The media is especially prone to distraction, always looking for “breaking news” or for what is “trending.” A story about the genocide of thousands of people gives way to a story about some Hollywood star who got a traffic ticket for speeding through a school zone as if the speeding infraction was of greater importance.
I am guilty of similarly misplaced priorities. Television, social media, or other equally inane activities consume the time I should spend nourishing my relationship with Jaci. The concern I have for myself often supersedes the attentiveness I should be giving to the needs and concerns of others. My relationship with God atrophies because I think I am too busy to set aside time for contemplating God’s goodness to me or for trying to determine what he would have me do that would reveal God’s goodness to and his love for others.
It is time to stop the excuses and to set aside time for reflection. Priorities need to shift so that the important things take precedence over the urgent things. I need to be more attentive to the working of God in my life and more attentive to the needs of others. Lord, give me the grace to make the necessary changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment