Friday, January 10, 2014

Hospitality


Friday 1/10/2014 5:57 AM
I have always envied people who have the gift of hospitality.  I would like to exercise that gift more but it seems that our house always has to be in pristine order before we feel comfortable having anyone into our home.  I feel that having everything in perfect order gives a false impression to whomever it is that is visiting.  I long to be able to have people see us the way we truly live, warts and all.  I think everyone occasionally has a pile of unfolded laundry sitting around or a sink full of dirty dishes.  To me, that should not be an embarrassment, it is simply the way most people live.
In his book The Wounded Healer, Henri Nouwen writes, “Hospitality is the virtue which allows us to break through the narrowness of our own fears and to open our houses to the stranger, with the intuition that salvation comes to us in the form of a tired traveler.  Hospitality makes anxious disciples into powerful witnesses, makes suspicious owners into generous givers, and makes closed-minded sectarians into interested recipients of new ideas and insights. … Like the Semites, we live in a desert with many lonely travelers who are looking for a moment of peace, for a fresh drink and for a sign of encouragement so that they can continue their mysterious search for freedom.”  Unfortunately in the culture in which I live most Christians are seen as being anxious, suspicious and, especially, closed-minded sectarians.  I am a Christian but I do not think I am in that camp and do not want to be viewed that way.  I think I am a generous giver and an interested recipient of new ideas and insights but I also realize that, from the vantage point of others, I may simply be deluding myself rather than dealing with reality.
My biggest frustration is that I see the lonely travelers to which Nouwen refers every day in my classroom.  I want to be that moment of peace, that fresh drink and that sign of encouragement to them.  The problem is, I don’t know how best to be hospitable to my students and colleagues in the school setting in which I work.

1 comment:

  1. G'day again old friend!
    I revel in memories of cribbage played on the floor of your college dorm room. It was always a welcome place to/for me.
    Tonight, small group meets at our house, and we'll scrub it clean and cook something fabulous, or feel like we slighted the group somehow.
    The most hospitable classrooms I know are those in which the professor absolutely delights in the material, and the joy of sharing it with others. Finding that kind of class is like stumbling into an oasis out in the academic desert. Angelic.
    Perhaps hospitality has a much to do with accepting ourselves just the way we are (foibles and all) ... and so being authentic in the presence of others. 'Tis a gift to meet someone truly.

    ReplyDelete