Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Educational Grants


Wednesday 1/29/2014 4:11 AM
Last night we had family dinner, as is our Tuesday night custom.  Our friends Dale and Edith, who are visiting from Michigan, joined us.  The scene was somewhat chaotic with the grandkids running around and playing but we definitely enjoyed the evening.  On many occasions throughout the night I whispered a silent prayer of thanks to God for the rich blessing of a loving family and long-time friends.
This morning my assigned scripture included Philippians 1, written by Paul from prison.  He is writing to the church in Philippi that was also being persecuted for their faith in God.  The first chapter ends with these words, “For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe in him, but also to suffer for him, since you are going through the same struggle you saw I had, and now hear that I still have.”  The words Paul chose you use were of interest to me.  They had been granted to believe in Christ and they were granted to suffer for him.
When I attended college I received a grant to help pay for some of my expenses.  The money was a gift to me, which enabled me to pursue my education and without which I could not have gone to college.  It something for which I am extremely grateful.  I can see how being granted belief in Christ would be beneficial for me but seeing suffering as a positive thing goes against the grain of my being and against the grain of our feel-good society.  I see suffering as something that hinders my faith and I try to avoid the difficulties that life brings as much as possible.  Suffering is certainly not something for which I am extremely grateful.  However, when I am honest with myself, I have to echo Paul’s sentiments that are expressed earlier in the chapter.  “Now I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that what has happened to me has actually served to advance the gospel.  As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ.  And because of my chains, most of the brothers and sisters have become confident in the Lord and dare all the more to proclaim the gospel without fear.”  Most of the difficult situations I have encountered in life have been the forge God used to shape me and to make me stronger.  The people who are my closest friends and with whom I have the most meaningful relationships are those with whom I have walked through the most difficult circumstances.
Paul also acknowledged the means by which he was delivered from the sufferings he had endured.  “I know that through your prayers and God’s provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance.”  The prayers of God’s people and the comfort and encouragement of the Holy Spirit are the things that sustain people who are experiencing suffering.  I need to be sensitive to God’s Spirit and obedient to his call to me to intercede on behalf of others.  Lord, let me be faithful in this regard.  Someone’s deliverance may depend upon it.

No comments:

Post a Comment