Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Celebration


Tuesday 11/12/2013 4:45 AM
The theme for my devotions this week is celebration.  Part of my reading this morning included these words by M. Basil Pennington in A Place Apart, “We need to let all the beauty, all the reality of God’s creation enter into our hearts and then enfold it in our love so that it may ascend to him with that love.”
Yesterday I had the day off from school so Jaci and I went to Oak Glen or, as the locals here in Southern California call it, apple country.  We sampled different kinds of apples, apple butter, apple nut bread and apple pie with cinnamon sauce and ice cream, among other things.  We also spent some time hiking through a local conservation area, enjoying a bubbling stream, a couple of ponds that were home to ducks, coots and cattails, various types of oak trees, sycamores, conifers and even a California redwood and a sequoia.  As I hiked along the sides of ponds, down steep hillsides and along the streams I could see the level curves and gradient vectors my multivariable calculus book uses to illustrate such landscapes.  The gentle breeze that was blowing became a vector field with curl and divergence.  It was as if I was observing God’s world with x-ray vision, seeing the underlying structural beauty along with the aesthetic beauty of majestic mountains and falling leaves against the backdrop of a deep, azure sky.
Yesterday I celebrated my relationship with Jaci along with the sights, smells, and tastes of Oak Glen, including the underlying structure of it all.  Today I celebrate the great God who superintends it all.  And what a wonderful celebration it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment