Sunday, November 17, 2013

Celebration Continued


Sunday 11/17/2013 9:48 AM
Yesterday we celebrated Jaci’s birthday with an overnight trip to Newport Beach.  We went to the Balboa Peninsula, walked the pier and ate lunch.  Then we went to Roger’s Gardens, one of Jaci’s favorite places, to look at plants and to get ideas for decorating.  We checked into our hotel early in the afternoon, took a short nap and then went to Ruby’s Shake Shack along Pacific Coast Highway to watch the sun set over Catalina Island while sipping shakes.  We went back to Fashion Island and walked around the different stores before heading to the Cheesecake Factory for dinner.
This morning I went for a run along the Back Bay in Newport.  As I ran around the long sweeping turns of the road, I remembered that it was exactly thirty-three years ago today that I ran my marathon.  Andy was only three months old at the time so quite a bit has changed in the intervening years but the memories came flooding back as I smelled the distinctive smells of the bay and saw the egrets stalking their breakfast in the reeds.
The theme of my devotions this week has been celebration.  Yesterday we spent the day celebrating Jaci’s birthday and today I celebrated the great blessing she has been in my life over the past thirty-five years.  God has blessed me beyond my wildest imagination with the gift of a loving wife and family and health that still allows me to enjoy a four-mile run each morning.  What I really need to celebrate is my loving God who has walked with me the entire way.

No comments:

Post a Comment