Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Finger Swipe


Tuesday 1/29/2013 5:38 AM
The ease with which information can be accessed in our modern world is mind-boggling.  Whereas in the past one had to go to a library, search a card catalog, access stacks of reference materials and pore over reams of paper, now we simply make a search on a mobile device, touch the screen with a finger and we have nearly instant access to everything.  With a simple swipe of a finger one can run complicated machinery to accomplish almost any task.
Today I read Luke 11:14-28, an account of Jesus driving a demon out of a man who was mute.  Some in the crowd of onlookers suggested he was driving out the demon by Beelzebul, the prince of demons.  Jesus makes the familiar comment about a divided house being unable to stand and then asks by whose power they drive the demons out.  Finally in verse 20 Jesus says, “But if I drive out demons by the finger of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.”
That image of Jesus driving out demons with the swipe of a finger stuck with me this morning.  Sometimes my life seems beset with insurmountable problems; I face indomitable foes or irresistible temptations.  I huddle in the corner paralyzed by fear and a feeling of inadequacy.  Any idea of God using an impotent soldier like me to further his kingdom is out of the question.  I need to remember that what I view as insurmountable, indomitable and irresistible, God can remove with the swipe of his finger.  I need to live with the confidence that he will do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment