Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Hamstrung


Friday 10/5/2012 7:12 AM
I’m in Phoenix visiting my mom over the weekend.  I left this morning for my regular run and both of my hamstrings were sore.  At the beginning of my run each step I took was painful and I nearly turned around after the first quarter mile to walk back to mom’s house.  Eventually the pain subsided enough so I could run without constantly feeling discomfort.  Evidently the pain either went away or I grew accustomed to it.
This has become somewhat normal over the past few weeks.  I have pain in my hamstrings even when I am sitting in a chair and it becomes more acute when climbing stairs or when I try to move suddenly.  I can’t put my finger on a specific incident that may have caused an injury but I know something isn’t quite right.  I’ve tried laying off of my running schedule for a few days to see if things improve and I’ve tried running through the pain, like I did this morning, but neither strategy seems to work.
My sore hamstrings also remind me of my life with God over the past few months.  My devotional times have been sporadic at best and my once vibrant relationship with God, buoyed by the wind of the Spirit of God, is now in the doldrums.  I can’t place my finger on a specific incident that may have initiated my ennui with respect to God but I know something isn’t right.  I’ve tried laying off of devotions for a few days and I’ve tried to read my Bible in an attempt to force the relationship but nothing seems to work.
I have always prided myself in my disciplined exercise and devotional routine.  When in conversation with others I often mention that I get up at four o’clock to run and have my devotions.  In my mind I’ve convinced myself that I do it to inspire them to adopt a similar routine; in reality I’m probably trying so show them how superior I am to them.  Today I read the story of the Pharisee and the publican who were praying in the temple.  I definitely was convicted that I was the Pharisee.
Lately I have been pointing out to others that everything they have is a gift from God and not something of their own doing.  Today the Spirit reminded me that my ability to run, my disciplined lifestyle and my relationship with God are also a gift from God and not something of my own doing.  Lord, forgive me for my pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment