Saturday, March 17, 2012

Drifters Who Don't Drift


Saturday 3/17/2012 6:21 AM
Yesterday I wrote about drifting, straying from a course that one is trying to follow.  Drifting of this sort usually carries a negative connotation because one ends up in a place that is not the desired destination.
Today as I sat down for my devotional time I thought about the word drifter, someone who is moving from place to place without a fixed home.  There is a sense in which this describes the people of God to a tee.  As the old hymn says, “This world is not my home, I’m just a-passing through.”  The Bible is replete with admonitions to avoid becoming attached to the things of this world.  We are encouraged to be in the world but not of the world.  Jesus told parables that illustrated the danger of laying up treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, rather than laying up treasure in heaven.  I need to find a way to live in this world without becoming too attached to it.
Hebrews 12:1-3 gives me a good example to follow.  “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles.  And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith.  For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.”  While I need to remember that this world is not my home, I am not to drift aimlessly along through life, rather, I am to fix my eyes on Jesus and run the race that he places before me, always keeping the ultimate goal of God’s kingdom in focus.  In effect, I need to be a drifter who doesn’t drift from the path laid before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment