Monday, January 16, 2012

I Work; God Builds


Monday 1/16/2012 5:16 AM
Over the past few days I have been reflecting on my life and the frustration I experience when I can’t determine the will of God for myself or, when I think I am being obedient to his call, there are no results from my efforts to build the kingdom of God.
Today I turned my devotional book to the new week and the opening prayer includes these fitting words, “Help us, we pray, to know the duty you have assigned us and to so live our lives that the world may be a better place for all your creatures.”  I pray the same prayer regularly and earnestly seek to obey and perform my assigned duty when it becomes clear to me what it is.  My psalm for the week is Psalm 32.  Verse 8 reads, “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.”  In the past I have received instruction, guidance and counsel from God.  I have tried to follow his leading but lately it seems that there are either no results from my obedience or the ministry to which I’m called simply evaporates.  That is the biggest source of my frustration.
The next part of my devotional time is spent reflecting on the writing of others and today it includes an excerpt from Howard Thurman’s book The Inward Journey.  In commenting about those who work for the kingdom of God he writes, “We are never under obligation to achieve results. … The task of men who work for the Kingdom of God, is to Work for the kingdom of God.  The result beyond this demand is not in their hands.  He who keeps his eyes on results cannot give himself wholeheartedly to his task, however simple or complex that task may be.”  Now that is a message I needed to hear.  I have been too focused on the results of my work rather than focusing on the work itself.  Ultimately God has the responsibility to build his kingdom; the results are his alone.  Whether he uses my efforts to further the progress or not is up to him, not up to me.  My job is to faithfully work.
The final portion of my devotional time is spent reflecting on a hymn.  The assigned hymn for the week is Lord, Whose Love through Humble Service by Albert Frederick Bayly.  The last two stanzas of this hymn are my prayer today.

As we worship, grant us vision,
Till your love’s revealing light
In its height and depth and greatness
Dawns upon our quickened sight,
Making known the needs and burdens
Your compassion bids us bear,
Stirring us to tireless striving
Your abundant life to share.

Called by worship to your service,
Forth in your dear name we go
To the child, the youth, the aged,
Love in living deeds to show;
Hope and health, good will and comfort,
Counsel, aid, and peace we give,
That your servants, Lord, in freedom
May your mercy know, and live.

No comments:

Post a Comment