Friday, December 30, 2011

iPhone or iBible?


Friday 12/30/2011 6:55 AM
Yesterday I got a new smart phone.  I used my previous cell phone to simply make phone calls but the new phone has all kinds of capabilities, many of which I will never know how to use.  I spent hours reading through the user’s guide and playing with the phone to try to get everything synced with my computer and get all my preferences chosen.
This morning I am distracted by the newness of everything as I sit down for my devotions.  I am texting Andy about Ryan, Kate and the kids who are coming in later this morning.  I am checking their flights to see if they are on time or not and texting Kate to see how things are going.  I remembered that I haven’t set up my voice mail message yet so I was wondering how to do that.  And so it went.
Not surprisingly, when I opened my devotional material it directed me to Deuteronomy 11:18, “Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.”  I immediately thought about the eagerness with which I read my user’s guide for my phone and played with the different functions.  Then I thought about the reticence I often experience when I sit down for devotions and the discipline it requires for me to do it on a regular basis.  I hope this excitement with the newness wears off soon so that I am not so distracted during my devotional time.
The passage quoted above continues with these words, “Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.”  I would like my children and grandchildren to see my excitement and my enthusiasm as I walk with God and explore the depths of his love.  There is a distinct possibility that they might see my excitement and enthusiasm for my new technological gadget instead.  I pray that it will not be so.

No comments:

Post a Comment