Thursday, February 11, 2021

Calm, Confidence, and Peace

Thursday 2/11/21 4:00 AM

Last summer and fall were times of great anxiety and stress for me as I waded through the unknown waters of teaching online courses, completing my sabbatical project, and dealing with the solitude and isolation foisted upon us all by the pandemic. I slept poorly and felt like a failure in my job as a teacher. To deal with the stress I did a lot of walking. During my walks I rehearsed scripture, prayed, and sang songs that focused on God’s power, his character, and his provision.

I’m not sure if I am adjusting to this new environment and learning better how to navigate things or if my deepening relationship with God is the cause, but I have a much better outlook on life at the moment and I have no fear of what the future may hold. I have confidence that God will see me through whatever comes my way.

Two of my assigned scripture passages for today describe my situation pretty well. Psalm 18:16-17 reads, “He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters. He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me.” I have no doubt that God is responsible for my change of attitude and for my sense of calm. Psalm 112:6-8 reads, “Surely the righteous will never be shaken; they will be remembered forever. They will have no fear of bad news; their hearts are steadfast, trusting in the Lord. Their hearts are secure, they will have no fear; in the end they will look in triumph on their foes.” While I have no grandiose claims to being righteous, the rest of these verses’ claims of having no fear of bad news, of having a steadfast and secure heart, and of trusting God are an accurate description of my current state of mind.

I read the writing of Rueben Job in my devotional material this morning and I believe he provides the reason for my newfound calm, confidence, and sense of peace. “To remember who creates us and recreates, who calls us again and again, who knows us completely, and who loves us unconditionally is to be prepared, as Jesus was, for all that is to come. We need have no fear of today or anxiety about tomorrow. We belong to God who claims us as beloved children and holds us close in the embrace of strength and love. Listen and remember today that God calls your name and be transformed and sustained in all that awaits you.” Thank God for his sustaining mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment