Thursday, December 13, 2018

Lord, Have Mercy


Thursday 12/13/18 3:43 AM
It is exam week and, as usual, my mind gets preoccupied with everything that has to be done and it is difficult to focus on my devotional time. My theme this week is the Jesus prayer. It is probably best if I just sit and repeat that prayer: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me.
Today I am giving my last exam. Four of my classes have taken their exams and they are all graded and posted. I still have my largest class, and the most difficult one, to go. I am giving that exam first thing this morning and I plan to work on grading until I am done.
This semester is quite different from some of the other semesters I’ve taught. As an example, yesterday I gave an exam in a class that had twenty-four students remaining in it. Only thirteen of those enrolled came to take the final exam. Nearly half the class never even showed up. This is simply a microcosm of the entire semester. I make assignments, but the students do not do them, or they wait until the night before a test and attempt to do all the assignments in an hour or two, spending only minutes on each one. I have students who have missed on the day of an exam without any explanation whatsoever. I am puzzled by this behavior, but it seems like it is becoming the norm rather than the exception to the rule. I joke with my office mate that it’s time to retire, but it is frustrating when it seems that I have a higher opinion of my students’ abilities and I want more for them than they want for themselves. They seem unwilling to put forth any effort to better themselves or to learn.
I wonder if God has similar frustrations with me. Is he puzzled that I do little or nothing to effect my transformation into the image of Christ? Does he become frustrated when I do not complete the tasks I am assigned to do in the furthering of his kingdom? Do I hinder the work of the Holy Spirit in my life when I fail to regularly sit down to read the word of God and listen to what it is saying to me? I have a feeling the answer is yes on all counts.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment