Sunday, March 5, 2017

Silhouette

Sunday 3/5/2017 6:22 AM
I slept a little later than usual this morning so when I ran the sky was lightening with the predawn glow of a new day. As I ran toward the east I noticed I could see the utility poles silhouetted against the lightening sky. Some of the poles had streetlights atop them. I could see the brown shades of the wood and other details on the poles with streetlights but even those without streetlights could be clearly recognized as utility poles. Once the sun rises all the poles can be seen clearly but even in the darkness, the poles without lights can be seen in silhouette.
I often pray that I would reflect the love of God to those with whom I have contact. My desire is that when people look at the details of my life, how I treat people, how I interact with my family, how I react toward those with whom I disagree, how I treat God’s creation, etc., they would see Christ. I want to reflect the love of God to the world.
When I feel estranged from God because of either willful disobedience or circumstances that cause me to doubt my faith, I become distraught that my witness to the world is compromised. God reassures me this morning that, when I am in Christ, my witness can still be seen in silhouette.
My reading today included the account of Jesus’ transfiguration. His clothes shone brightly and his disciples fell to the ground and covered their faces. Peter writes about this experience in 2 Peter 1:16-20. “For we did not follow cleverly devised stories when we told you about the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ in power, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty. He received honor and glory from God the Father when the voice came to him from the Majestic Glory, saying, ‘This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.’ We ourselves heard this voice that came from heaven when we were with him on the sacred mountain. We also have the prophetic message as something completely reliable, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts.”

I am also an eyewitness to the majesty of God because I have seen how he has transformed my life. When I am in a dark place I do not need to fret about my witness to the world. The majesty of Christ is the background of my life and people will see me in silhouette, in spite of the darkness. I need to continue to pay attention to the reliable word of God, which is a light shining into my dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment