Sunday, September 25, 2016

The Best of Times, The Worst of Times

Sunday 9/25/2016 5:06 AM
This year has been a difficult one for me. My regular routine of running was thrown off because for some strange reason, after being sick for a couple of days, I was unable to run more than a half mile without stopping to catch my breath or to recover from dizziness. I stopped having my regular devotional time, spending time with God only once per week or so. My nephew nearly died after contracting the H1N1 flu virus. My brother-in-law had a serious infection in his hip and was in critical condition for four months in the spring. This summer my mom’s ability to care for herself has deteriorated to the point where she needed to be placed in a memory care unit. The confluence of these events led me down a dark path where God seemed absent, or distant at best.
The theme for my devotions this week is “When Nothing Goes Our Way,” a fitting theme for a year like mine. My reading today included Isaiah 41:10 and Isaiah 43:1-3, passages that remind me of God’s presence with me through the difficult times of life. These same passages came to mind a few weeks ago when I made a pledge to start having regular devotions again.
The author of my devotional book, Rueben Job, writes these words, “There are times in our lives when nothing seems to go as we planned. Times when day after day we are faced with difficulties and darkness no matter how much we long for lighter loads and light for our pathway. There are other times when we come from a spectacular high moment and suddenly find ourselves hanging on to hope by our fingernails. … One of the best times for us to cultivate the nearness of God emerges when nothing is going our way. Such an experience may sharpen our ability to see God at work in our midst and in our lives. Remember that we are not alone when things are not going our way, as we are not alone when things are going our way. Each situation gives us opportunity to pay attention to God’s presence and call for God’s help.”
As quickly as my ability to run was taken from me last winter, it seems to have returned a few weeks ago and I have resumed my morning routine. My devotions, too, have become more consistent and meaningful. I’m not sure what God wanted me to learn through all the events of the past year but Rueben Job’s reminder that I am not alone in both the good times and the bad times is a good one for me to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment