Sunday, March 8, 2015

The Blanket of Love

Sunday 3/8/2015 7:42 AM
I often view God’s will for my life as a specific road that I need to travel. When I stay on that road, then God is pleased and my life goes well and, if I stray from that road, then the wheels come off the bus and I either crash or lose my way. When viewed like this it is easy to become discouraged because, to be honest, from my perspective, I spend more time off the road than on it.
E. Glenn Hinson has a different perspective in his book, Horizonal Persons. He writes, “In (Paul’s) letters, the will of God, what pleases God, or what is acceptable to God has to do with what kind of persons we are, with attitude and outlook. God wants us to be persons who live our lives from the vantage point of a covenant with God through and in Jesus Christ, conscientized and sensitized and tenderized by love, make the very best decisions we can make in the circumstances in which we find ourselves.” God is more concerned about who I am and less concerned about what I do. If I am ruled by love my actions will be ruled by love. Then the circumstances will not matter; even in situations where there seems to be no “right” answer I will react in love, and, as 1 Peter 4:8 reminds me, love covers a multitude of sins.

No comments:

Post a Comment