Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Personal Valet

Tuesday 6/10/2014 7:31 AM
I have been frustrated over the course of the past few months by what seems to me to be a lack of the movement of the Holy Spirit in my life.  God seems to be silent when I read the Bible and I have no clear direction as to what he wants me to do.  I feel as if I’ve been put on hold, listening to elevator music.
My psalm for the week is Psalm 150, which begins and ends with the words, “Praise the Lord.”  Even if I don’t know specifically what God wants from me I can still praise the Lord.

Sometimes I think I treat God as my personal valet.  When I decide I want to do something I ask him to bless my efforts.  When I decide I don’t want to do something I look for justification as to why I should not be doing it.  It’s as if I treat the Holy Spirit like he is under my authority, telling him what to do and when to move.  The writing of Hans Küng in his book The Church is a good reminder for me this morning.  He writes, “…God’s Spirit does not blow when he must, but only when he wills.  No decrees of the church, in doctrine or practice, can force him to act or not to act at a given time.  True, God is absolutely free, and is thus free even with regard to his freedom.”  God can do what he wants when he wants.  He doesn’t have to answer to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment