Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Day

Monday 5/26/2014 6:05 AM
Today is Memorial Day.  I have always had mixed emotions about this holiday.  I do not have a problem honoring those like my uncle, Bert Hugen, who was killed during World War II, but somehow I always feel like the military is glorified as those who bring our freedoms.
I began a new week in my devotional material this morning and the theme is Life Together.  Psalm 133 is the psalm for the week and it begins with these words, “How good and pleasant it is when God’s people live together in unity!”  Ephesians 4:2-3 is also included in my reading, “Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.  Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.”  If everyone heeded the call to be humble, gentle, patient, and if everyone bore with one another in love, it would be easy to live in unity.  There would be no need for fighting and killing.
Unfortunately there is very little humility, gentleness, patience and love in the world, especially among nations and corporations.  Most people, and it would seem all nations and corporations, are consumed with fulfilling personal ambitions and protecting national and corporate interests, the rest of the world be damned.  Rather than looking to the needs of others we are consumed with our personal interests and needs, and we will go to any lengths necessary to protect them.  The only way that will change is when there is a change of heart.  In Ezekiel 36:25-27 God says, “I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols.  I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.  And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.”

If those who have been changed by God began living the way God intends maybe the rest of those in the world would see and be moved to change.  Then we could celebrate God, the one who brings true freedom, on Memorial Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment