Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Home

Wednesday 4/23/2014 5:11 AM
I called my mom three different times over the weekend and each time she talked about her death.  It was not in a morbid way but rather she expressed curiosity about it and also said that things that used to be important to her no longer hold the same appeal.  It almost seems as if she is, in the words of Shakespeare, shuffling of this mortal coil.
Today I read 1 Corinthians 5 as part of my devotions.  Paul writes about the earthly tent of our bodies being destroyed and how we will be clothed with a heavenly dwelling.  Verse 6 says, “Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord.”  I wonder if mom is beginning to come to grips with her own mortality and is beginning to realize that her death will release her from the pain and suffering of this world and will open up a new world that is better by far.
I find that as I age the things that seemed so important earlier in life are no longer important to me.  If you talked to me today I would say that I have no fear of death or of dying.  I wonder if my confidence is high in this regard because I see my death as an event in the distant future rather than something that will happen relatively soon.  Will I have the same confidence when I am lying on a bed with my body filled with cancer or if I will begin to doubt my future like many older people I know.  My hymn for the week is Some Day, by Charles A. Tindley.  I pray that the refrain of that hymn will be my song throughout my life.  “I do not know how long ‘twill be, nor what the future holds for me, but this I know if Jesus leads me, I shall get home some day.”

No comments:

Post a Comment